lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Busch <busch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Adding another dimension to Lucene searches
Date Sat, 08 May 2010 17:37:16 GMT
On 5/8/10 3:10 AM, Mark Harwood wrote:
> The downside is the need to maintain sequences of related docs in the same segment -
something Lucene currently doesn't make easy with its limited control over when segments are
flushed. I suspect we'll need some discussion on how best to support this.

LUCENE-2324 should help to make this work even when you add documents
with multiple threads.  There will be one DocumentsWriter per thread
(DWPT), and the different DWPTs will write to their own segments.  We
will also have an extension point to control thread binding.  Then you
can make sure that all parts of your compound document end up
sequentially in the same segment.

One thing we have to make sure though is that a DWPT doesn't flush
"between" different parts of your compound doc.  Hmm, we might have to
add a "flush policy" to our growing family of policies.

  Michael