lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Adding another dimension to Lucene searches
Date Sat, 08 May 2010 07:32:23 GMT
On 2010-05-07 18:25, mark harwood wrote:
> I have been working on a hierarchical search capability for a while now and wanted to
see if there was general interest in adopting some of the thinking into Lucene.

> The idea needs a little explanation so I've put some slides up here to kick things off:
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/MarkHarwood/proposal-for-nested-document-support-in-lucene

Very cool stuff. If I understand the design correctly, the cost of the
query is roughly the same as constructing a Filter Query from the parent
query, and then executing the child query with this filter. You probably
use childScorer.skipTo(nextParentId) to avoid actually traversing all
matching ids ... but I didn't quite catch from the slides how you encode
the parent-child link... is it just "the next docs are sub-documents
until the next parent doc"? or is it a field in the children that points
to a unique id field of the parent?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><