lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Itamar Syn-Hershko" <ita...@code972.com>
Subject RE: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 20:56:56 GMT
Ryan,

I'm not familiar with the Apache way of doing things. It is my understanding
that if the invitation is initiated by the PMC itself, no incubation process
nor a champion are required. Considering CLucene's age and proven stability,
I was hoping we could go that route. If we need a PMC member as a champion,
may this be a call for one.

Considering CLucene is targetting a very different users base than Lucene
is, I don't see how it can possibly be a distraction. On the countrary -
many optimizations done in CLucene back in the old days were later adapted
by Lucene itself, and I'm sure this will continue. Also, I believe CLucene
has a great part in promoting Lucene, especially among non-Java developers.
So, I don't see how CLucene is a moot point more than Lucene.Net for example
has ever been.

I would love to be working with anyone to get this process properly defined
and started. A proposal is being worked on.

Itamar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan McKinley [mailto:ryantxu@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:51 PM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject

Having skimmed most of the thread...

It seems the question of if CLucene should be a sub-project may be premature
considering that it would really need someone in the PMC to champion it --
do the real work to make it happen.

I can see many ways this could be a good addition to lucene land, I can also
see many ways that it may just be a distraction.  Unless someone actually
can work with them, it is a moot point.

ryan