lucene-dev mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Adding another dimension to Lucene searches
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 16:01:08 GMT
Having implemented this code on a few projects I find that the major challenge shifts from
the back end to the problem of the front end and how to get end users to articulate the questions
Lucene can answer with this.
Certainly an interesting challenge but that's another topic...

----- Original Message ----
From: J. Delgado <joaquin.delgado@gmail.com>
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Mon, 10 May, 2010 16:47:50
Subject: Re: Adding another dimension to Lucene searches

Hierachical documents is a key concept towads a unified
structured+unstructured search. It should allow us to fully implement
things such as XQuery + Full-Text
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-full-text/)

Additionally it solves a century old problem: how to deal with
section/sub-sections in very large documents. Long time ago I was
indexing text books (in PDF) and had to break down the book into pages
and store the main doc id in a field as pointer to maintain the
relation.

Mark, way to go!

-- Joaquin

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 8:03 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Very cool stuff, Mark.
>
> Can you just open a JIRA and attach there?
>
> On May 10, 2010, at 8:38 AM, mark harwood wrote:
>
>> I've put up code, example data and tests for the Nested Document feature here: http://www.inperspective.com/lucene/LuceneNestedDocumentSupport.zip
>>
>> The data used in the unit tests is chosen to illustrate practical use of real-world
content.
>> The final unit tests will work on more abstract data for more formal/exhaustive testing
of functionality.

>> This packaging changes no existing Lucene code and is bundled with 3.0.1 but should
work with 2.9.1. The readme.txt highlights the issues with segment flushing that may need
addressing before adoption.