lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Robert Muir (JIRA)" <>
Subject [jira] Created: (SOLR-1916) investigate DIH use of default locale
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 20:21:43 GMT
investigate DIH use of default locale

                 Key: SOLR-1916
             Project: Solr
          Issue Type: Task
          Components: contrib - DataImportHandler
    Affects Versions: 4.0
            Reporter: Robert Muir
             Fix For: 4.0

This is a spinoff from LUCENE-2466.

In this issue I changed my locale to various locales and found some problems in Lucene/Solr
triggered by use of the default Locale.

I noticed some use of the default-locale for Date operations in DIH (TimeZone.getDefault/Locale.getDefault)
and, while no tests fail, I think it might be better to support a locale parameter for this.

The wiki documents that numeric parsing can support localized numerics formats:

In both cases, I don't think we should ever use the default Locale. If no Locale is provided,
I find that new Locale("") <-- Unicode Root Locale, is a better default for a server situation
in a lot of cases, as it won't change depending on the computer, or perhaps we just make Locale
params mandatory for this.

Finally, in both cases, if localized numbers/dates are explicitly supported, I think we should
come up with a test strategy to ensure everything is working. One idea is to do something
similar to or make use of Lucene's LocalizedTestCase.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message