lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 23:30:23 GMT
On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 03:05:43AM +0400, Earwin Burrfoot wrote:
> I wonder, what's going to be the relationship between this and Lucy?

They aren't related projects.  C and C++ are different languages, as C
partisans like Linus Torvalds will tell you:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/57643/focus=57918

I haven't followed CLucene closely enough to have an opinion about bringing it
into the Apache Lucene fold, but I don't think the existence of Lucy should
have any bearing.

> Also, how do both of them compare to Sphinx?

Dunno, haven't looked closely at Sphinx.  That seems more like a userland
issue, unless you're proposing bringing in Sphinx as a Lucene subproject. ;)

Marvin Humphrey