lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Adding CLucene as a Lucene subproject
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 12:30:21 GMT
Hi Itamar,

The PMC is discussing this internally.   It is pretty clear at this point that CLucene needs
to go through Incubation, so by all means start the process there (see http://incubator.apache.org).
 Also, keep in mind, that many things have changed for Lucene in regards to subprojects in
recent months, so despite the fact that we have other "ports" under Lucene right now due to
legacy reasons, it doesn't imply that adding another would be good for this particular TLP.
 That isn't to say that CLucene doesn't have a place at the ASF.  Generally speaking, the
ASF does not want "umbrella" projects covering disjoint communities b/c it often leads to
unnecessary bureaucratic problems at the PMC level related to things like voting, releases,
project direction, etc.

At any rate, we should be wrapping up our PMC discussion by tomorrow, so I will update this
thread at that time.

Thanks,
Grant