lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Contribution for Research
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 12:32:15 GMT

On May 26, 2010, at 11:30 AM, Shardul Bhatt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am Shardul Bhatt, a Software Developer from India.
>
> I have used Lucene on a project and am keen to contribute to Lucene.
>
> I know it takes much more than just the desire to be able to contribute to Open Source.
At this point in time I am trying to figure out how to go about it. Apparently the most widely
accepted method is to use it and debug it, using Eclipse, to understand how it all gels together.
This method is certainly good but the initial effort is huge and needs a lot of motivation
to hang on.

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute and http://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute
describe most of the things necessary to get started.

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:31 PM, Alberto Bacchelli <alberto.bacchelli@usi.ch> wrote:
> Dear Lucene developers,
>
>  I'm Alberto Bacchelli, a Ph.D. student in software engineering.
>
> We want to help new developers who join a new software system, and
> we believe that a good first impression would attract more contributors.
>
> Imagine a new developer joining Lucene:
> As a first step, he needs a high-level view of the system.
> Then, and this is what we want to address, he needs to know
> what the most important classes of the system are --the hotspots.
>

> We'd like to find *automated* methods to suggest a newbie
> which classes he should start to study/understand.
>

> To find the best recommendation method, we must know
> the important classes of the system, and you,
> as the system developers, are the only ones who can
> answer this question.
>
> If you agree to do so (and I really hope so :) )
> we will create a small questionnaire for you,
> that will take less than 15 minutes to be completed.

Can you just send the questionnaire to the list?