lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <>
Subject Lucene 3.x branch created
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 22:03:58 GMT
Hi all,

we worked hard this day and created the "stable" Lucene 3.x branch that will be released soon
as version 3.1 and later 3.x branches. As soon as 3.1 is released a corresponding "branch_31"
will be created from this branch (and not trunk):

This was created as the last commit pre-flex and also contains a lot of merged revisions from
post-flex (like CharTermAttribute). This makes merging newer Analyzers/TokenStreams and so
on easier. We also fixed some bugs shortly before flex so the stable branch is now stable.
I also refactored the change log.

Now the TODO is:

- Merge the rest of post-flex developments like lots of analyzer improvements until current
trunk status. This should ideally be done with a GUI tool that shows what was already been
merged (these are lots of revisions, see merge property. Only selected revisions are merged).
Most commits came from rmuir, he will also use TortoiseSVN (like I did for merge).
- All these merges move in CHANGES.txt from trunk to the branch (in trunk changes.txt) and
also are added to branch's changes.txt
- Do the same refactoring of Solr's changes.txt (I did not touch until now), its out of my
scope - somebody else should do this.

I also added Hudson build jobs for this branch. We have now:

The development of trunk will continue as usual @

With Hudson jobs:

!!! BUT !!!: It will be have no backwards compatibility, but still some revisions can be merged
back (with added backwards layer! On a case-by-case basis). Flex and flex-only features will
not be ported back (like automaton queries). This version will be released as 4.0 (this may
also happen soon). This development branch is for all new developments without any need to
be backwards compatible. Even the index format can change (and will). We will only provide
a conversion tool that can convert indexes from the last "branch_3x" up to this trunk (4.0)
release, so they can be read later, but may not contain terms with all current analyzers,
so people need mostly reindexing. Older indexes will not be able to be read natively without
conversion first (with maybe loss of analyzer compatibility).

This index format conversion tool (has no name until now) will convert to the new flex format
and may also change the order of terms in TermsEnum to be native byte[] order (which is Unicode
code point order and not current UTF-16 order). Also numeric fields and collation keys may
be converted to full 8 bit term format (not yet decided), that are no longer UTF-16 terms.

We will also factor out all analyzers/tokenstreams, so trunk will only contain the abstract
TokenStream and Analyzer base classes with slightly changed API. All the actual analysis classes
will be moved to modules.

Happy coding!

Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen