2010/4/1 Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>

On Apr 1, 2010, at 8:22 AM, Helleringer, Nicolas wrote:

I did put a comment on the jira issue pointing to the code I wrote inside Chris Male perspective.
He answered on the JIRA topic as well.

Yep, saw that.  If you wish for that code to be in Lucene, you need to post it as a patch to Lucene and grant provenance to the ASF.
That is what we want to happen. We are working on it, both of us.

Here's another question:
Given the same latitude and same distance, shouldn't there be the same number of box ids no matter the longitude?  Yet the following code says otherwise:
public void testCartesianPolyFilterBuilder() throws Exception {
    CartesianPolyFilterBuilder cpfb = new CartesianPolyFilterBuilder(CartesianTierPlotter.DEFALT_FIELD_PREFIX, 2, 15);
    //try out some shapes
    final double miles = 20.0;
        // Hawaii
        // 2300 miles to Marshall Island Airfield
    //Hawaii to Midway is 911 miles
    lat = 0;
    lng = -179.9;
    Shape shape;
    shape = cpfb.getBoxShape(lat, lng, miles);
    System.out.println("Tier: " + shape.getTierLevel());
    System.out.println("area: " + shape.getArea().size());
    lat = 30;
    lng = -100;
    shape = cpfb.getBoxShape(lat, lng, miles);
    System.out.println("Tier: " + shape.getTierLevel());
    System.out.println("area: " + shape.getArea().size());

    lat = 30;
    lng = 100;
    shape = cpfb.getBoxShape(lat, lng, miles);
    System.out.println("Tier: " + shape.getTierLevel());
    System.out.println("area: " + shape.getArea().size());
  }

-Grant

No.
The longitude has an effect because of the projection used to go from a spherical world to a flat coordinates system.
See http://www.nsshutdown.com/projects/lucene/whitepaper/locallucene_v2.html and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinusoidal_projection

You can clearly see that all longitude are not equals in terms of number of boxes.

You could ask why using Sinusoidal projection ? Because it is does not have to  much distance distortion in populated places and it is very simple to calculate.

Hope it helps.

Nicolas