Sometimes it's REALLY impossible to reindex, or has absolutely prohibitive cost to do in a running production system (i can't shut it down for maintainance, so i need a lot of hardware to reindex ~5 billion documents, i have no idea what are the costs to retrieve that data all over again, but i estimate it to be quite a lot)

And providing a way to migrate existing indexes to new lucene is crucial from my point of view.

I don't care what this way is: calling optimize() with newer lucene or running some tool that takes 5 days, it's ok with me.

Just don't put me through full reindexing as I really don't have all that data anymore.
It's not my data, i just receive it from clients, and provide a search interface.

It took years to build those indexes, rebuilding is not an option, and staying with old lucene forever just sucks.

Danil.