lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:57:25 GMT
On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well ... I must say that I completely disagree w/ dropping index structure
> back-support. Our customers will simply not hear of reindexing 10s of TBs of
> content because of version upgrades. Such a decision is key to Lucene
> adoption in large-scale projects. It's entirely not about whether Lucene is
> a content store or not - content is stored on other systems, I agree. But
> that doesn't mean reindexing it is tolerable.

I don't understand how its helpful to do a MAJOR version upgrade without
reindexing... what in the world do you stand to gain from that?

The idea here, is that development can be free of such hassles. Development
should be this way.

If you, Shai, need some feature X.Y.Z from Version 4 and don't want to
reindex, and are willing to do the work to port it back to Version 3 in a
completely backwards compatible way, then under this new scheme it can
happen.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com