lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:43:19 GMT
On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> From what I see, we behave very much like a product. The new release
> is always bw compatible, exceptions are allowed when they are well
> documented, and no one makes any decisions lightly around here.
>
> This is not very open sourcy :). No one here gets paid, we don't share
> Lucene dividents w/ the committers and contributors ...

Thanks Shai, I think you said it best. This is the problem I have with
policies, rules, or whatever for back-compat or stable-porting.

People should be able to contribute what they are able to.

And another problem I have with 'stable' being trunk, in the past trunk has
become 'frozen' for releases and such (I think pretty much real all
development stopped around the 3.0 timeframe for a really long time).

I think this is extremely unhealthy and we should never do this again.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com