lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:52:19 GMT
I was advocating that we always develop on trunk w/ no back-compat support,
API-wise ... you could have developed flex w/ no bw support.

Currently what you're proposing would cause most features to be developed on
stable w/ bw support and trunk w/o. I propose to leave 'stable', develop on
trunk w/ no bw support (except for index format) and back port features "on
demand" to stable w/ bw support.

So instead of forcing all development to go through stable + trunk, I
propose to go through trunk, and back port to stable only if requested. In
the end we'll be in the same position (trunk having all features) except for
stable which will include just those features of interest to other people.

Shai