lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Lucene RAM buffer size limit
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:06:58 GMT
Hi

Today we limit the RAM buffer size to 2048. I was wondering why, until Mark
referenced me to that issue (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1995) where someone complained
about it as well, but I didn't find a reason to why it's limited. I mean, I
understand it's probably an int is used somewhere, but all the issue says
here (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1995?focusedCommentId=12767757&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#action_12767757)
is "Maybe someday Lucene will allow a larger RAM buffer than 2GB".

Why "maybe"? :)

I set up a benchmark run on a new machine I got, 4xQuad, 64GB RAM, and turns
out I can't really take advantage of all that RAM ... :).

So I don't mind to look at the code, but I guess since Mike and a bunch of
other smarter people were on that issue, there is probably something I need
to know before I set to change it?

Appreciate your thoughts on that. Today, more and more machines come w/ more
than 2GB ...

Shai