lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:22:47 GMT
On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:27 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was thinking that we can add on Version a DEFAULT version, which the
> caller can set. So Version.setDefault and Version.getDefault will be added,
> as static members (more on the static-ness of it later). We then change the
> API which requires Version to also expose an API which doesn't require it,
> and that API will call Version.getDefault(). People can use it if they want
> to ...

I don't understand how this works... if Something has a no-arg ctor today,
and i want to improve it in a backwards-compatible way, how will this work?

the way this works today, lets say while working with 3.1 is:
Something() is deprecated, and invokes Something(3.0)
Something(Version) is added, and emulates the old behavior for < 3.1, and
the new behavior for >= 3.1

i dont see how backwards compatibility will work with this proposal, since
the no-arg ctor would then emulate some random behavior depending on a
static.

--
Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com