lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 14:11:59 GMT
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>  * There is no back compat across major releases (index nor APIs),
>    but full back compat within branches.
>
> This would match how many other projects work (KS/Lucy, as Marvin
> describes above; Apache Tomcat; Hibernate; log4J; FreeBSD; etc.).

Sort of... except many of these projects listed above care a lot about
back compat, even between major releases.  So while we could always
break back compat, we shouldn't do so unless it's necessary.  It's not
an all-or-nothing scenario though... requiring re-indexing seems
reasonable, but changing APIs around when there's not a good reason
behind it (other than someone liked the name a little better) should
still be approached with caution.

-Yonik
Apache Lucene Eurocon 2010
18-21 May 2010 | Prague