lucene-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 20:39:52 GMT
Grant ... you've made it - the 100th response to that thread. Do we keep
records somewhere? :)

Ok I'm simply proposing to define 'index back-compat' as index format
back-compat. With that, we don't 'wait' for something to happen, we just say
up front that if that changes, we provide a migration tool for the latest
index format version. Simple as that. The rest, we can 'see what happens'
...

Shai

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:

>
> On Apr 15, 2010, at 4:21 PM, Shai Erera wrote:
>
> > +1 on the Analyzers as well.
> >
> > Earwin, I think I don't mind if we introduce migrate() elsewhere rather
> than on IW. What I meant to say is that if we stick w/ index format
> back-compat and ongoing migration, then such a method would be useful on IW
> for customers to call to ensure they're on the latest version.
> > But if the majority here agree w/ a standalone tool, then I'm ok if it
> sits elsewhere.
> >
> > Grant, I'm all for 'just doing it and see what happens'. But I think we
> need to at least decide what we're going to do so it's clear to everyone.
> Because I'd like to know if I'm about to propose an index format change,
> whether I need to build migration tool or not. Actually, I'd like to know if
> people like Robert (basically those who have no problem to reindex and don't
> understand the fuss around it) will want to change the index format - can I
> count on them to be asked to provide such tool? That's to me a policy we
> should decide on ... whatever the consequences.
>
> As I said, we should strive for index compatibility, but even in the past,
> we said we did, but the implications weren't always clear.   I think index
> compatibility is very important.  I've seen plenty of times where reindexing
> is not possible.  But even then, you still have the option of testing to
> find out whether you can update or not.  If you can't update, then don't
> until you can figure out how to do it.  FWIW, I think our approach is much
> more proactive than "see what happens".  I'd argue, that in the past, our
> approach was "see what happens", only the "seeing" didn't happen until after
> the release!
>
> -Grant
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: java-dev-unsubscribe@lucene.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: java-dev-help@lucene.apache.org
>
>

Mime
View raw message