lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Directory.deleteFile confusingly throws IOException
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:45:57 GMT
I understand your point Mike, but I don't think that returning a
boolean will make the Dir API poor. Today boolean is as descriptive as
an exception, only much more efficient to handle - given the current
Dir impls in Lucene and that we don't think there are many impls out
there …

Also, I think the Java API makes sense - there cannot be too many
reasons for failing to delete a file. So runtime SecurityException
(which must be rarerly thrown) + boolean seems fine to me.

But really, if you don't think we should change the API, let's drop it.

Shai