lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:01:04 GMT

On Apr 13, 2010, at 2:09 PM, Shai Erera wrote:

> And I guess that what bothers me the most is that it feels to me like we're trying to
protect people from stuff we haven't yet received complaints on (at least none that I'm aware
of),

I think we have, they just aren't explicitly stated b/c most users don't necessarily grasp
the subtleties of tokens at this level.  We have long talked and had questions about how to
handle bug fixes in Analyzers.

> while we're hurting the programming experience of others ... almost recklessly.

Wearing my trainer hat as someone who has to explain this stuff to newbies on a regular basis,
I agree, I think VERSION does hurt the programming experience (although, I don't agree it
is even close to reckless) at least initially and the issue was more easily dealt with through
CHANGES.txt and letting people know there is a bug fix that will require re-indexing.  That
being said, I'm not sure I like the static proposal.   Separating out the analyzers more seems
good on paper and versioning individual ones somehow.

-Grant