lucene-dev mailing list archives

From <karl.wri...@nokia.com>
Subject RE: FW: Solr and LCF security at query time
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:02:04 GMT
Looking around for no-Apache java-only solutions to the AD authentication problem, it seems
to me that what we mainly have available is JAAS plus the following JAAS login module:

com.sun.security.auth.module.Krb5LoginModule

... which should permit AD authentication to take place,  if properly configured.
So, we *could* stipulate that the search component receive credentials, somehow, upon being
called, and then authenticate each time.  (There's a ticket cache involved, so this is not
as insane as it sounds).

But this architecture option makes me twitchy because I am unclear how exactly this would
help Tomcat interact with the browser to manage signon for a web application.  So it might
be better to push the authentication itself upstream into a module meant to be plugged into
Tomcat, and have Solr just receive and deal with the resulting ticket, and/or an authenticated,
domain-qualified user name.  The task of the LCF Solr search component or filter would then
be to do the following:

(1) Get hold of the ticket/authenticated user name, which will probably come in as some attribute
to the search that's presented to Solr.  (Someone needs to specify what this attribute is
called still).
(2) Invoke a configured LCF authority service with that user name, via http, and get back
a list of access tokens for the user
(3) Form the search expression with the user's access tokens (if it's a search component),
or filter the results using those access tokens (if it's a filter), remembering that every
document that's participating in security should have __ACCESS_TOKEN__document and __DENY_TOKEN__document
metadata

I've also been pondering whether which we should build: a search component or filter?  I think
there are advantages to both, so I think we should build both, and let people use what they
need.

I think the technical aspects of building the Solr component are well understood by this group,
so the only open issue remains how to build a JAAS-based AD authentication module for tomcat
that would do what we needed.  I'll be doing more research as time permits...

Karl