lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Burton-West, Tom" <tburt...@umich.edu>
Subject questions about DocsEnum.read()in flex api
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 17:15:10 GMT
I'm a bit confused about the DocsEnum.read() in the flex API.   I have three questions:

1)      DocsEnum.read() currently delegates to nextDoc() in the base class and there is a
note that subclasses may do this more efficiently.  Is there currently a more efficient implementation
in a subclass?  I didn't see one in MultiDocsEnum or MappingMultiDocsEnum, but perhaps I'm
not understanding the code.

2)      DocsEnum.read reads 64 docs/freqs at a time as set up in initBulkResult().  Would
it make sense to have this configurable as an argument somewhere?   I'm looking at very large
indexes where a common term might occur in 100,000 or more docs.
3)      At the very top of the JavaDoc there is a warning "you must first call nextDoc"
It seems that this applies to calling DocsEnum.docID() or DocsEnum.freq() but not to DocsEnum.read().
 Is that correct?

Tom Burton-West