lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Nat Ayewah <aye...@cs.umd.edu>
Subject FindBugs Community Review of Lucene
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:01:33 GMT
Hello,

I am a PhD student working with the FindBugs project, at the University
of Maryland. FindBugs <http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/> is a popular
open source static analysis tool that can analyze Java software and
identify bugs. We recently analyzed *Lucene*, and identified about 22
warnings that might be of interest to the project. You can launch an
instance of FindBugs and evaluate each warning using this link (requires
Java): http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/cloud/lucene.jnlp (You may also
comment on any warning by signing into a Google, Yahoo or OpenID account)

FindBugs has recently started a community review of several open source
projects. This is similar to a recently completed review
<http://findbugs.sourceforge.net/> at Google in which almost 300
engineers reviewed thousands of issues, fixing many of them. I would
like to invite you all to participate in the review for Lucene, and
other open source projects. During the review, you are able to comment
on each warning and evaluate it as "Must Fix", "Mostly Harmless", "Not a
Bug" and other classifications. We are particularly interested in
learning if any warnings are causing problems in production.

The list of projects currently included in our review is at
http://findbugs.cs.umd.edu/cloud/

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Kind regards,

Nat Ayewah
PhD candidate, University of Maryland
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~ayewah