lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:07:36 GMT

On Apr 22, 2010, at 5:58 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> Well yes - throwing out stable releases and back compat is going to be much more easy
to maintain, but I think that's besides the point...

> Handling our current back compat policy is not something most have wanted to do for long
either - that's never been a reason for tossing it.

> I agree with back porting as necessary, as long as necessary means every change that
doesn't make sense to only go into unstable.

>>> Besides, it is essentially what we do now, minus back compat. maintenance on
trunk.

> Exactly - it essentially amounts to just throwing out back compat to a large degree.
Stable will be a joke - its just the last trunk release - no different than what we do now,
but we abandon back compat. That's a huge mistake IMO.

Yeah, I don't intend to throw out back compat.  I guess I wasn't understanding.  Must have
been from reading 1000 replies on this since yesterday.

-Grant