lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal about Version API "relaxation"
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:21:13 GMT

On Apr 15, 2010, at 4:50 PM, Shai Erera wrote:

> Robert ... I'm sorry but changes to Analyzers don't *force* people to reindex. They can
simply choose not to use the latest version. They can choose not to upgrade a Unicode version.
They can copy the entire Analyzer code to match their needs. Index format changes is what
I'm worried about because that *forces* people to reindex.

In several threads and issues it has been pointed out that upgrading Unicode versions is not
an obvious choice or even controllable. It is dictated by the version of Java, the version
of the OS and any Unicode specific libraries.

A desktop application which internally uses lucene has no control over the automatic update
of Java (yes it can detect the version change and refuse to run or force an upgrade) or when
the user feels like upgrading the OS (not sure how to detect the Unicode version of an arbitrary
OS. Not sure I want to).

Even with server applications, some shared servers have one version of Java that all use.
And the owner of an individual application might have no say in if or when that is upgraded.

This is to say that one needs to be ready to re-index at all times unless it can be controlled.

One way to handle the Java/Unicode is to use ICU at a specific version and control its upgrade.

One way to handle the OS problem (which really is one of user input) is to keep up with the
changes to Unicode and create a filter that handles the differences normalizing to the Unicode
version of the index (if that's even possible).

Still goes to your point. The onus is on the application not on Lucene.

-- DM