lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: lucene and solr trunk
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:53:16 GMT
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 5:42 PM, Jake Mannix <jake.mannix@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM, Michael McCandless
> <lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
>>
>> If we move lucene under Solr's existing svn path, ie:
>>
>>  /solr/trunk/lucene
>
> Chiming in just a bit here - isn't there any concern that independent of
> whether or not people "can"
> build lucene without checking out solr, the mere fact that Lucene will be
> effectively a "subdirectory"
> of solr...  is there no concern that there will then be a perception that Lucene is a
subproject of
> Solr, instead of vice-versa?

Who would have this perception?
Casual users will be using downloads.

Likewise, should solr be concerned that it's currently under a lucene
URL?  How many casual users actually understand the difference between
the lucene TLP and the lucene java subproject?

This is really about what makes most sense for development.

-Yonik