lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:25:57 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/14/2010 06:37 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>>

>>> This time a +1 without discuss :-)
>>>

>> Yeah, but Uwe, the thread was DISCUSS, not VOTE!  :-)
>>

> I had a whole spiel about earning merit, and some contrib committers were
> made contrib committers for just a single contrib, some long ago, didn't
> have to necessarily show they understood/followed the apache way, lower bar
> (not necessarily from talent perspective, but you might be made a contrib
> committer just to maintain the code module you contributed, whether you
> worked with the community or not), etc, etc.

Hmmm, yeah - when it is time to VOTE, there are actually two different
questions here:
1) if lucene should move away from contrib committers, adding no new ones
2) if all existing contrib committers should immediately become core
lucene/solr committers, or if that promotion should proceed in the
normal fashion as it has in the past.

-Yonik