lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:33:06 GMT

On Mar 14, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On 03/14/2010 06:37 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> On Mar 14, 2010, at 2:03 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:
>>

>>> This time a +1 without discuss :-)
>>>
>> Yeah, but Uwe, the thread was DISCUSS, not VOTE!  :-)
>>

> I had a whole spiel about earning merit, and some contrib committers were made contrib
committers for just a single contrib, some long ago, didn't have to necessarily show they
understood/followed the apache way, lower bar (not necessarily from talent perspective, but
you might be made a contrib committer just to maintain the code module you contributed, whether
you worked with the community or not), etc, etc. But ah, since everyone is into it without
discussion, far be it from me to stand against. And I got my spiel in (super condensed) anyway
now. With everyone else into it so far, I just look foolish trying to discuss :)

Right, Mark.  I think we would be effectively raising the bar to some extent for what it takes
to be a committer.  We'd also be making contrib a first class citizen (not that it ever wasn't,
but some people have that perception).  Finally, I think we need to recognize that not everyone
needs to be a McCandless in order to contribute in a helpful way.  I think sometimes we forget
that you can do svn revert.  Obviously, we don't want to have to do it often, but it's not
a huge deal if it happens.  We've all been there.

-Grant