lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:33:22 GMT

On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On 03/15/2010 08:33 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> Right, Mark.  I think we would be effectively raising the bar to some extent for
what it takes to be a committer.

> That's part of my point though - some are contrib committers with a lower bar - now they
are core/solr committers with that lower bar, but someone else that came along would not get
to the same position now?

I think they may just have a little more work to do, either that or maybe we just have a little
more faith that the right things will be done.

>>  We'd also be making contrib a first class citizen (not that it ever wasn't, but
some people have that perception).

> I think because it was kind of true. I could come along before and donate contrib x,
and never show I worked well with the community or build up the merit needed to be a committer,
and be made a contrib committer simply to maintain my module. That's happened plenty.

True.  I guess what I'm saying is we can still make them committers and it may be that they
still only will work on "their" module, but we should base our vote on them being "full" committers.
 I don't like the notion of modules belonging to someone (not that you were implying that,
I know.)  I guess I just see it as you either have earned merit or not.  That's how we do
it in Solr and Mahout and they both have modules/contribs and it also fits more with the notion
of "one project, one set of committers".

>>  Finally, I think we need to recognize that not everyone needs to be a McCandless
in order to contribute in a helpful way.

> We obviously recognize that or else I wouldn't be here! I think its more about fitting
in - showing you get and follow the Apache way. Showing that ideas and changes you might push
are in line with what the other committers thing is appropriate of a core/solr committer.
Talent is not key here - community is. The bar for this has been *much* higher core than contrib
in the past. And contrib has had different bars over time - I think it was even lower in the
past at points.

Agreed.

>>  I think sometimes we forget that you can do svn revert.
>
> I hate to have to do that. I don't think its a great way to handle this - we could make
everyone a committer at a drop of a hat and say we can just revert. I wouldn't call for a
revert except in exceptional circumstances. I don't think that's the point.

Right, obviously I wasn't implying we'd want to do it, but we can if it is absolutely necessary.