lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:33:35 GMT

On Mar 16, 2010, at 3:24 PM, Mark Miller wrote:

> On 03/16/2010 02:57 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

>>> I gather from the deafening silence that we'll have to figure it out as we go...
>>>
>>> I think some (not all) of the discomfort associated with IRC could be addressed
with a permanent, searchable, linkable archive of #lucene.

>>> I went looking for IRC loggers and found http://colabti.org/.  One of the things
hosted there is a searchable, linkable permanent archive of several freenode channels.  I
posted on #irclogger asking about hosting #lucene archive, and apparently all we have to do
is ask, after first determining that nobody objects.  Here's a link (not incidentally, this
is exactly what we will have for #lucene once the service is switched on):

>>> http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/irclogger?date=2010-03-16#l2
>>>
>>> So, would anybody participating on #lucene object to a permanent archive?
>>>
>>> (I'm also going to provide a link to this thread on #lucene to make sure everybody
there knows about the issue.)

>> There's also a lot of chatter that happens on IRC, so logging is going to have a
lot of noise.  I'm still on the fence on what to do.  I don't want to get in people's way,
but we also need to have traceability about decisions, and we certainly can't have answers
like "We discussed this on IRC and you missed it, too bad" happening (not saying that has
happening, just saying I don't want to see it).

>> -Grant
>>

> Even with logging, I'm against using IRC for making decisions, or as something people
can point to. Even with searchable logging, I think we should stick with, "if id didn't happen
on the lists, it didn't happen". Its the same as when some of us get together and talk about
Lucene and Solr - thats great stuff - you can get a lot done that is a lot harder on the lists
- you can hash a lot out. But I think people should always have the right to act like it didn't
happen - the same as if we are at ApacheCon or something - we don't come back and say, sorry,
you missed all the discussion, but we had one and this what we are going to do. We summarize
the discussion on the list (like Mike likes to do with IRC), and answer questions as people
have them. I personally think its great to come to mini agreements with real-time talk - then
it just has to make its way through the list.

> This isn't a counter point to anything you said Grant, just a nice place for me to drop
this.

+1.  The ApacheCon talks are a great example of bringing back off list stuff to the list.