lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:06:47 GMT
+1

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Given the notion of "one project, one set of committers", I think we should do away with
the notion of contrib committers for java-dev and just have everyone be committers.  Practically
speaking, this would make all existing contrib committers be core committers.  I think the
notion of contrib committers has added to the confusion about the status of contrib as well
as acted like a "probation" for new committers.  To me, I don't think we should make that
distinction, as has been evidenced time and time again, if we trust someone to commit to contrib,
we can trust them to commit to core.  And if we don't trust them to contrib to core then
we probably shouldn't contrib either.  Much of being a committer is about knowing what not
to touch as it is to touch and I trust that all of our contrib committers know that.

> Thoughts?
>
> -Grant

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com