lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:05:06 GMT

On 29 Mar 2010, at 07:45, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:

Of course introducing the idea of updates also introduces the notion of a
primary key and there's probably an entirely separate discussion to be had
around user-supplied vs Lucene-generated keys.
Not sure I see that need.  Can you explain your reasoning a bit more?
If you want to update a document you need a way of expressing *which*
document you are updating.

This already works somehow for 'deleting' documents?

Yes, the convention being user-supplied keys. The question posed is if we add another use
case where keys are required do we want to turn this existing informal convention into more
formalized support the way databases do eg duplicate key checks on insert, auto-inc primary
key generators.

ICQ: 104465785