lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:44:46 GMT
>>Who ever said that some_condition should point to a unique document?
>
> My assumption was, for now, we were still talking about the simpler case of updating
a single document.
> If we extend the discussion to support set-based updates it's worth considering the common
requirements for updating sets:
> a)  update values can be non-constants such as "reduce price of all products in ski-wear
dept by 10%".
> b)  the criteria to define the set can be most usefully expressed as a query rather
than mandating a single term e.g. "set published:false on all docs in last week's date range"

> That feels like too much functionality to consider adding right now but I can see a much
more basic solution is possible which supports single and simple set based updates.

I must be missing something :)
a) We're not a freaking database, why the constant attempts to compare
ourselves to it / mimic some functionality?
b) The criteria to define the set of deleted documents can already be
expressed as a query - IndexWriter.deleteDocuments(query).

So what I am offering is to preserve the way to point at the docs we
want to see deleted, and allow to do partial modifications on them.
Thus we add new and exciting functionality, while introducing zero new
concepts. Profit?

ICQ: 104465785