lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incremental Field Updates
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:17:03 GMT
>>> If you want to update a document you need a way of expressing *which*
>>> document you are updating.
>> This already works somehow for 'deleting' documents?
> Yes, the convention being user-supplied keys.
I can delete by lucene-generated docId. It's too volatile to be
database-style PK, but nonetheless.

> The question posed is if we add another use case where keys are required do we want to
turn this existing informal convention
> into more formalized support the way databases do eg duplicate key checks on insert,
auto-inc primary key generators.
If someone needs this, it can be built over lucene, without
introducing it as a core feature and needlessly complicating things.

ICQ: 104465785