lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene and solr trunk
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:01:09 GMT
On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:

>  > Chiming in just a bit here - isn't there any concern that independent of
> > whether or not people "can"
> > build lucene without checking out solr, the mere fact that Lucene will be
> > effectively a "subdirectory"
> > of solr...  is there no concern that there will then be a perception that
> Lucene is a subproject of
> > Solr, instead of vice-versa?
>
> Who would have this perception?
> Casual users will be using downloads.

Developers and dev managers at companies doing build vs. buy decisions
regarding
whether they will do one of the following:

1) pay big bucks to get FAST or whatever
2) use Solr (free/cheap!)
3) pay [variable] bucks to build their own with Lucene
4) pay [variable but high] to build their own from scratch

I'm not concerned with casual downloaders.  I'm talking about the companies
and people who
may or may not be interested in making multi-million dollar decisions
regarding using or
not using Lucene or Solr.

  -jake