lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 19:24:39 GMT
On 03/16/2010 02:57 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
>

>> On 03/16/2010 at 6:06 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know how other projects fold in IRC...?
>>>
>> I gather from the deafening silence that we'll have to figure it out as we go...
>>
>> I think some (not all) of the discomfort associated with IRC could be addressed with
a permanent, searchable, linkable archive of #lucene.

>> I went looking for IRC loggers and found http://colabti.org/.  One of the things
hosted there is a searchable, linkable permanent archive of several freenode channels.  I
posted on #irclogger asking about hosting #lucene archive, and apparently all we have to do
is ask, after first determining that nobody objects.  Here's a link (not incidentally, this
is exactly what we will have for #lucene once the service is switched on):

>> http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/irclogger?date=2010-03-16#l2
>>
>> So, would anybody participating on #lucene object to a permanent archive?
>>
>> (I'm also going to provide a link to this thread on #lucene to make sure everybody
there knows about the issue.)

> There's also a lot of chatter that happens on IRC, so logging is going to have a lot
of noise.  I'm still on the fence on what to do.  I don't want to get in people's way, but
we also need to have traceability about decisions, and we certainly can't have answers like
"We discussed this on IRC and you missed it, too bad" happening (not saying that has happening,
just saying I don't want to see it).

> -Grant

Even with logging, I'm against using IRC for making decisions, or as
something people can point to. Even with searchable logging, I think we
should stick with, "if id didn't happen on the lists, it didn't happen".
Its the same as when some of us get together and talk about Lucene and
Solr - thats great stuff - you can get a lot done that is a lot harder
on the lists - you can hash a lot out. But I think people should always
have the right to act like it didn't happen - the same as if we are at
ApacheCon or something - we don't come back and say, sorry, you missed
all the discussion, but we had one and this what we are going to do. We
summarize the discussion on the list (like Mike likes to do with IRC),
and answer questions as people have them. I personally think its great
to come to mini agreements with real-time talk - then it just has to
make its way through the list.

This isn't a counter point to anything you said Grant, just a nice place
for me to drop this.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com