lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: lucene and solr trunk
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:18:18 GMT
On 03/16/2010 10:09 AM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 2:51 AM, Michael Busch<buschmic@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Also, we're in review-and-commit process, not commit-and-review.  Changes have to
be
>> proposed, discussed and ideally attached to jira as patches first.
>>
> Correction, just for the sake of avoiding future confusion (i.e. I'm
> not making any point about this thread):
>
> Lucene and Solr have always officially been CTR.
> For trunk, we normally use a bit of informal lazy consensus for
> anything big, hard, or that might be controvertial... but we are not
> officially RTC.
>
> -Yonik

In any case, this is a branch. People really want to enforce RTC on a
branch??? Even if that was our official process on trunk (which I agree
it has not been) that's not how the flex branch worked. That's not how
the solr_cloud branch worked. That's not how other previous branches
have worked.

IMO - anyone should be able to create a branch for anything - to play
around with whatever they want. We should encourage this. Branches are
good. And they take up little space.

Branch changes have to be proposed, discussed, and attached to JIRA?
Uggg - I certainly hope not.

Branches should be considered replacements for huge unwieldy patches. Do
I have to propose and discuss before I put up a patch?

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com