lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:12:01 GMT
My 2 cents as one who has no aspirations of ever being a committer.

I think with the pending re-org of contrib and the value of contrib, it
doesn't make much sense to have the distinction between core and contrib
let alone for contributors.

Regarding the former low bar, either prune the list (voluntarily or
forcefully), prune individuals when they commit something they really,
really shouldn't have (e.g. no discussion, no consensus), or give
several opportunities to do right then prune.

But in any case, spell out the expectations and document it (perhaps in
the wiki).

I think it can work and there will be little if any problem with it.

-- DM

On 03/15/2010 02:33 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2010, at 1:25 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>

>> On 03/15/2010 08:33 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>>
>>> Right, Mark.  I think we would be effectively raising the bar to some extent
for what it takes to be a committer.

>> That's part of my point though - some are contrib committers with a lower bar - now
they are core/solr committers with that lower bar, but someone else that came along would
not get to the same position now?

> I think they may just have a little more work to do, either that or maybe we just have
a little more faith that the right things will be done.

>>>   We'd also be making contrib a first class citizen (not that it ever wasn't,
but some people have that perception).

>> I think because it was kind of true. I could come along before and donate contrib
x, and never show I worked well with the community or build up the merit needed to be a committer,
and be made a contrib committer simply to maintain my module. That's happened plenty.

> True.  I guess what I'm saying is we can still make them committers and it may be that
they still only will work on "their" module, but we should base our vote on them being "full"
committers.  I don't like the notion of modules belonging to someone (not that you were implying
that, I know.)  I guess I just see it as you either have earned merit or not.  That's how
we do it in Solr and Mahout and they both have modules/contribs and it also fits more with
the notion of "one project, one set of committers".

>>>   Finally, I think we need to recognize that not everyone needs to be a McCandless
in order to contribute in a helpful way.

>> We obviously recognize that or else I wouldn't be here! I think its more about fitting
in - showing you get and follow the Apache way. Showing that ideas and changes you might push
are in line with what the other committers thing is appropriate of a core/solr committer.
Talent is not key here - community is. The bar for this has been *much* higher core than contrib
in the past. And contrib has had different bars over time - I think it was even lower in the
past at points.

> Agreed.
>

>>>   I think sometimes we forget that you can do svn revert.
>>>
>> I hate to have to do that. I don't think its a great way to handle this - we could
make everyone a committer at a drop of a hat and say we can just revert. I wouldn't call for
a revert except in exceptional circumstances. I don't think that's the point.