lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:25:51 GMT
On 03/15/2010 08:33 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
> Right, Mark.  I think we would be effectively raising the bar to some extent for what
it takes to be a committer.

That's part of my point though - some are contrib committers with a
lower bar - now they are core/solr committers with that lower bar, but
someone else that came along would not get to the same position now?

>   We'd also be making contrib a first class citizen (not that it ever wasn't, but some
people have that perception).

I think because it was kind of true. I could come along before and
donate contrib x, and never show I worked well with the community or
build up the merit needed to be a committer, and be made a contrib
committer simply to maintain my module. That's happened plenty.

>   Finally, I think we need to recognize that not everyone needs to be a McCandless in
order to contribute in a helpful way.

We obviously recognize that or else I wouldn't be here! I think its more
about fitting in - showing you get and follow the Apache way. Showing
that ideas and changes you might push are in line with what the other
committers thing is appropriate of a core/solr committer. Talent is not
key here - community is. The bar for this has been *much* higher core
than contrib in the past. And contrib has had different bars over time -
I think it was even lower in the past at points.

>   I think sometimes we forget that you can do svn revert.

I hate to have to do that. I don't think its a great way to handle this
- we could make everyone a committer at a drop of a hat and say we can
just revert. I wouldn't call for a revert except in exceptional
circumstances. I don't think that's the point.

> Obviously, we don't want to have to do it often, but it's not a huge deal if it happens.
 We've all been there.

> -Grant

I also wouldn't personally cast my vote on this broadly - some people I
might think should be core/solr committers now, others not. Merit at
Apache is important - you never lose it. Seems weird to get something
like that so easily when in the past you had to work your way to it from
contrib committership and get voted on individually by the PMC.

Personally I'd prefer we just stop adding them, and the current ones
work their way up like normal if they are so inclined, or the ones that
are not even around anymore can just stay as they are.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com