lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Do away with Contrib Committers and make core committers
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:30:04 GMT

On Mar 14, 2010, at 8:25 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, but Uwe, the thread was DISCUSS, not VOTE!  :-)
>>>

>> I had a whole spiel about earning merit, and some contrib committers were
>> made contrib committers for just a single contrib, some long ago, didn't
>> have to necessarily show they understood/followed the apache way, lower bar
>> (not necessarily from talent perspective, but you might be made a contrib
>> committer just to maintain the code module you contributed, whether you
>> worked with the community or not), etc, etc.
>
> Hmmm, yeah - when it is time to VOTE, there are actually two different
> questions here:

Agreed.

> 1) if lucene should move away from contrib committers, adding no new ones

Yes, this is what I'm thinking.  All future committers would be based on contributions to
the project and there would be no distinction between contrib/core.

> 2) if all existing contrib committers should immediately become core
> lucene/solr committers, or if that promotion should proceed in the
> normal fashion as it has in the past.

I'm fine w/ all of them, except we might want to check to see if it has been more than a year
of contributing and ask any of them if they want to be Emeritus.

-Grant