lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Branding Solr+Lucene
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:02:08 GMT
Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going debate about what
to call the merged entity.

The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both Lucene's and
Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current personal favorites along these
lines: Sorlusr :) ).

My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product (along with
the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from suggestions coming from Solr
partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.

So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and Solr would remain
the product names of this newly named merged project.

Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times recently on the
#lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene
(TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one of these suggestions this morning:

   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
   ASF likes names

So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch" (riffing off
of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....  Okay, not really.

I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me like the font
used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun => convertible => "Ragtop".
 Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and Lucene's icons could be easily embedded in
a Ragtop logo.

Steve