lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Proposed: New logged IRC channel: #lucene_dev
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 15:44:04 GMT
As I mentioned in another thread on this list, I'm interested in setting up a permanent, linkable-to
archive (a.k.a. log) for the lucene IRC channel.

On #lucene, some devs don't want to be logged, and so will not participate on a logged IRC
channel.  Other devs want logging, to be able to point to for background discussion, and also
to provide transparency for those who don't participate regularly.

In an attempt to satisfy both camps, it was suggested that a new logged channel be set up.
 The name #lucene_dev was suggested, in part because this name indicates separating user questions,
which don't really need to be logged, from development, in the same way that the Lucene mailing
lists are now separated.

Note that this is not an official proposal/vote or anything like that.  I'm just looking for
comments that would change or stop this proposal from being implemented.

I should say that when I asked about logging #lucene, I didn't anticipate that it would be
controversial (I've always thought that naïveté is my best feature ;) ).  I'm unhappy that
creating yet another place to discuss Lucene could fracture the community.  So I'm not certain
that setting up a logged #lucene_dev is the right way to go.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Steve