lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branding Solr+Lucene
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:20:42 GMT
I'm confused... what is the need for a new name?  The only place where
there is a conflict is in the top level svn tree...

What about something general like:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev
or
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/project

ryan

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
> Now that Solr and Lucene live in the same space, there has been an on-going debate about
what to call the merged entity.

> The names being mulled at this point include (variously sized) snippets of both Lucene's
and Solr's names, and include LuSolr, Solcene, etc. (my current personal favorites along these
lines: Sorlusr :) ).

> My guess is that Lucene partisans would like to see Solr just become a product (along
with the Lucene java library) of the Lucene project.  Judging from suggestions coming from
Solr partisans, though, I don't think this will fly.

> So I think an entirely new name is needed for the merged project.  Lucene and Solr would
remain the product names of this newly named merged project.

> Along these lines, search.apache.org has been brought up a couple of times recently on
the #lucene IRC channel.  However (with all due respect to what-happens-on-#lucene-stays-on-#lucene
(TM) ), Grant wrote in response to one of these suggestions this morning:

>   prob. is "Search" is not a brand
>   ASF likes names
>
> So in the spirit of a real name (i.e., an abstract symbol), I propose "Srrrch" (riffing
off of "Riot Grrrls" and Solr's penchant for vowel droppings)....  Okay, not really.

> I do have one idea, though: thinking about the icons for Lucene (looks to me like the
font used on 50's automobile brand logos) and Solr (a sun): car+sun => convertible =>
"Ragtop".  Fun, short, abstract, apolitical.  Solr's and Lucene's icons could be easily
embedded in a Ragtop logo.