lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: #lucene IRC log [was: RE: lucene and solr trunk]
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 18:57:30 GMT

On Mar 16, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:

> On 03/16/2010 at 6:06 AM, Michael McCandless wrote:
>> Does anyone know how other projects fold in IRC...?
>
> I gather from the deafening silence that we'll have to figure it out as we go...
>
> I think some (not all) of the discomfort associated with IRC could be addressed with
a permanent, searchable, linkable archive of #lucene.

> I went looking for IRC loggers and found http://colabti.org/.  One of the things hosted
there is a searchable, linkable permanent archive of several freenode channels.  I posted
on #irclogger asking about hosting #lucene archive, and apparently all we have to do is ask,
after first determining that nobody objects.  Here's a link (not incidentally, this is exactly
what we will have for #lucene once the service is switched on):

> http://colabti.org/irclogger/irclogger_log/irclogger?date=2010-03-16#l2
>
> So, would anybody participating on #lucene object to a permanent archive?
>
> (I'm also going to provide a link to this thread on #lucene to make sure everybody there
knows about the issue.)

There's also a lot of chatter that happens on IRC, so logging is going to have a lot of noise.
 I'm still on the fence on what to do.  I don't want to get in people's way, but we also need
to have traceability about decisions, and we certainly can't have answers like "We discussed
this on IRC and you missed it, too bad" happening (not saying that has happening, just saying
I don't want to see it).

-Grant