lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:54:53 GMT
+1 on releasing.

On Feb 14, 2010, at 6:45 PM, Uwe Schindler wrote:

> Hallo Folks,
>
> I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 (which both have
the same bug fix level, functionality and release announcement), build from revision 910082
of the corresponding branches. Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your votes
until Thursday morning, as the scheduled release date for both versions is Friday, Feb 19th,
2010. Only votes from Lucene PMC are binding, but everyone
> is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The
vote passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

> We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of their parallel development
/ bug fix level to emphasize that they are equal except deprecation removal and Java 5 since
major version 3.

> Please also read the attached release announcement (Open Document) and send it corrected
back if you miss anything or want to improve my bad English :-)

> You find the artifacts here:
> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/
>
> Maven repo:
> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/maven/

> The changes are here:
> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Changes.html
> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Contrib-Changes.html
>
> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Changes.html
> http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Contrib-Changes.html
>
> Uwe
>
> === Proposed Release Announcement ===
>
> Hello Lucene users,
>
> On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to announce the release of
Lucene Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:

> Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions, where 2.9.2 is the last release working
with Java 1.4, still providing all deprecated APIs of the Lucene Java 2.x series. 3.0.1 has
the same bug fix level, but requires Java 5 and is no longer compatible with code using deprecated
APIs. The API was cleaned up to make use of Java 5's generics, varargs, enums, and autoboxing.
New users of Lucene are advised to use version 3.0.1 for new developments, because it has
a clean, type safe new API. Users upgrading from 2.9.x can now remove unnecessary casts and
add generics to their code, too.

> Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum number of unique terms
in each index segment. They also add fixes in IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes
in near real-time indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed.
Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get lost during deprecation
removal. If you are using Lucene in a web application environment, you will notice that the
new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
> Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly
recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using
3.0.0.