lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Uwe Schindler" <...@thetaphi.de>
Subject [VOTE] Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 release artifacts
Date Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:45:42 GMT
Hallo Folks,

I have posted a release candidate for both Lucene Java 2.9.2 and 3.0.1 (which both have the
same bug fix level, functionality and release announcement), build from revision 910082 of
the corresponding branches. Thanks for all your help! Please test them and give your votes
until Thursday morning, as the scheduled release date for both versions is Friday, Feb 19th,
2010. Only votes from Lucene PMC are binding, but everyone
is welcome to check the release candidate and voice their approval or disapproval. The vote
passes if at least three binding +1 votes are cast.

We planned the parallel release with one announcement because of their parallel development
/ bug fix level to emphasize that they are equal except deprecation removal and Java 5 since
major version 3.

Please also read the attached release announcement (Open Document) and send it corrected back
if you miss anything or want to improve my bad English :-)

You find the artifacts here:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/

Maven repo:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/maven/

The changes are here:
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-2.9.2/Contrib-Changes.html

http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Changes.html
http://people.apache.org/~uschindler/staging-area/lucene-292-301-take1-rev910082/changes-3.0.1/Contrib-Changes.html

Uwe

=== Proposed Release Announcement ===

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to announce the release of Lucene
Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:

Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions, where 2.9.2 is the last release working with
Java 1.4, still providing all deprecated APIs of the Lucene Java 2.x series. 3.0.1 has the
same bug fix level, but requires Java 5 and is no longer compatible with code using deprecated
APIs. The API was cleaned up to make use of Java 5's generics, varargs, enums, and autoboxing.
New users of Lucene are advised to use version 3.0.1 for new developments, because it has
a clean, type safe new API. Users upgrading from 2.9.x can now remove unnecessary casts and
add generics to their code, too.

Important improvements in these releases are a increased maximum number of unique terms in
each index segment. They also add fixes in IndexWriter’s commit and lost document deletes
in near real-time indexing. Also lots of bugs in Contrib’s Analyzers package were fixed.
Additionally, the 3.0.1 release restored some public methods, that get lost during deprecation
removal. If you are using Lucene in a web application environment, you will notice that the
new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correct with different class loaders.
Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly recommend
upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de