lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: LUCENE-1515
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:43:34 GMT
On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Karl Wettin <karl.wettin@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1515 is an alternative Swedish stemmer that handles a couple of things
> unsupported by the original stemmer. A few things is handled worse, but all
> together I think it's a better algorithm. I've used it in two commercial
> applications. I'd like to commit it. Even though I've done my best to make
> them notice it, the snowball community never commented on it. Perhaps I
> should attempt once again before pushing it to Lucene.
>
> The code is, as the rest of the snowball contrib package, BSD. That
> shouldn'y cause any problems, right?
>
> What should I call this stemmer? Swedish2? SwedishToo? Svenska? :)
karl, what is the essential difference between the existing and
LUCENE-1515 stemmer?

As this is contrib/snowball you should know that we plan to move
snowball into contib/analyzers to remove some code duplication. Maybe
we can incorporate your stemmer with that refactoring. I don't know if
there is already an issue (can find it though - robert any idea?) but
we will move forward on that as soon as LUCENE-2034 is committed.

simon