lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:24:19 GMT
Hi Alex,

I too have been wondering about it.  I'm working on adding spatial support to Solr and find
the contrib/spatial in Lucene is a good start, but it needs a lot of clean up.  I'm further
flummoxed by it's addition to 2.9 since any changes at this point to it would be on 3.1, which
would then require Solr to upgrade to 3.1 which is a lot of effort.  My take is there are
a lot of useful nuggets in there, but the overall packaging/public APIs need some work.  I
know some others are interested in cleaning it up, so if you want to pitch in, that would
be great.

If you're interested in what Solr is doing, see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-773,
as I think you will see a lot of the changes filter back into Lucene once Solr is on 3.x.

-Grant