lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Sanne Grinovero <sanne.grinov...@gmail.com>
Subject StressTest: Document not guaranteed to be found after write and commit
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:30:48 GMT
Hello,
I developed a stress test to assert that a new document containing a
specific term "X" is always found after a commit on the IndexWriter.
This works most of the time, but it fails under load in rare occasions.

I'm testing with 40 Threads, both with a SerialMergeScheduler and a
ConcurrentMergeScheduler, all sharing a common IndexWriter.
Attached testcase is using a RAMDirectory only, but I verified a
FSDirectory behaves in the same way so I don't believe it's the
Directory implementation or the MergeScheduler.
This test is slow, so I don't consider it a functional or unit test.
It might give false positives: it doesn't always fail, sorry I
couldn't find out how to make it more likely to happen, besides
scheduling it to run for a longer time.

Could someone please try it, and suggest if my test is wrong or if I
should open a new issue?
The patch applies to 2.9.1, I've experienced same behavior on 2.4.1.

Best regards,
Sanne Grinovero

P.S. congratulations with the release of 3.0.0 :-)