lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Lassau <mlas...@atlassian.com>
Subject Re: Hiding JIRA issues
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2009 05:49:16 GMT
Hey guys, I am a JIRA dev, so I thought I should throw in my 2c:

The root cause is most likely http://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-15548
This bug was fixed in JIRA v4.0 and usually only effects customers with
lots of Issues (100,000's)

When a user saves changes to an Issue, we first store the data in the DB
(our primary data store), then update the Lucene Index.
Of course Lucene is not designed for real-time updates, so we need to
wait in turn to get a write-lock.
If another long-running write operation is running (eg optimize), then
JIRA will timeout after a configured amount of time (default 30 seconds)
and return the request to the user.
Now the DB is up to date, but the Lucene index is stale and won't get
fixed until another user edits that issue, or you re-index all.

The symptoms are that if you go to the Issue View page you will see your
issue with latest data because that page goes straight to the DB.
However, when you use the Issue Navigator for search, you will see the
stale data from the index.

The proper fix for this is to upgrade to JIRA v4.0.
However, I think in your case you are waiting for some custom plugins to
be upgraded to be v4.0 compatible?
In the meantime, the best thing is to edit jira-application.properties
so that optimization is never triggered (this is usually the cause):

# Number of issue index updates before automatic index optimization is
triggered.
# A value of 0 indicates never trigger.
jira.index.max.reindexes=4000

# Number of issue indexes performed in bulk that will trigger index
optimization.
# A value of 0 indicates never trigger.
jira.index.update.bulk.optimization=400

In addition you can up the lock wait time with this property:

# Specified the 'wait time' for a file lock in the Lucene
IssueIndexManager (in milliseconds)
# This value should only be modified if you are seeing a
jira.issue.index.DefaultIndexManager 'Giving up reindex' ERROR
# in your log files or requested to do so by Atlassian support.
jira.index.lock.waittime=30000

HTH,

Mark Lassau.

Michael McCandless wrote:
> Eek, that's kinda spooky... that we didn't get to the root cause.  I
> sure hope Lucene is not to blame ;)
>
> Mike
>
> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 9:21 PM, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> i sent a note to infrastructure about this, they reindexed, and everything
>> is fixed now.
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Issues are missing after JIRA Client 1.4.1 synchronization, too.
>>>
>>> -----
>>> Uwe Schindler
>>> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
>>> http://www.thetaphi.de